In the northern Brazilian state of Minas Gerais, 35 km north from Montes Claros, is the Fazenda Mandacarú. The Fazenda lies in the small farm town Pau d'Oleo and measures 250 ha. (600 acres). Since 2003 Luiz Carlos Afonso has restructured part of the terrain to its natural origin. He established a farm, an infrastructure for planting projects and guest facilities.
Social and environmental community projects:
- Colibri: holidays for children and adolescents from Montes Claros;
- Éta-Nos: a collaboration with the local farmers community around the themes water, nature, food;
- Eco-tourism: combining beautiful nature and excursions with opportunities for local farmers and craftsmen;
- Eco-farm: diverse farming (including livestock, poultry, vegetables, fruit, sugar cane, manioc, corn);
- NEW--> Eolica: workshop building a small windmill for sustainabla and environmental-friendly energy.